.

Monday, October 29, 2007

Halloween !


I won't say happy halloween because I don't see anything happy about halloween anyway. I don't consider it happy since on this day, a lot of people wear something scary and they decorate things around their yard, inside their house with stuffs that look so scary.

Two years ago, me and my husband actually experienced halloween in the US. We were visiting a friend in San Jose, California and children, wearing interesting costumes, were knocking at our friend's house and we went out to give them candies and chocolates for their trick or treat. It was fun in a way though.

In Bohol, we don't have something like that. Our children don't go out wearing crazy costumes and go from one house to another for a trick or treat. However, families go to the cemetery on November 1 and 2, to visit the tombs of departed family members, relatives or friends. Family and friends gather around at the cemetery, eat, drink and be merry, reminiscing the lives of the departed loved ones.

Halloween is always related to something scary though. How about sharing scary or spooky stories?

I don't have a personal scary or spooky experience. I am not like other people who got a 'third eye' or has the 'sixth sense' that they experience spooky incidents more than once.

A spooky story

Story #1. In one of his political trips, my father was travelling from one of the municipalities of Bohol. Tired from the day's activities, he was sleeping in the car when suddenly he was jolted due to the sudden stop of the vehicle. He asked the driver what was happening and the driver told him that he had to stop the car and has to drive very slow this time because there are many carabaos walking in the middle and on the sides of the road.

My father, who was half awake didn't realize at first if what the driver was saying was true but when he opened his eyes, he saw with his own eyes WHITE CARABAOS all over! He estimated that there were more than a hundred of those carabaos. He was wondering where these carabaos would come from and where they are going. They were on the part of the road where the road is between a cliff (of a mountain)to the right and a cliff (along the sea) to the left. They were then driving somewhere in Dimiao.

After several minutes of slow driving and with goose bumps on their skins, my father and his driver suddenly saw the white carabaos disappear from their sight. The were both wondering where did they went to and why were those carabao white? Spooky eh?

Story # 2. Just few weeks ago, my father called me to help organize the 'remembering' activities for my Lolo and Lola (their birthdays are November 2 and November 15) because my Lola 'reminded' him (again) through some spooky ways.

It was early in the morning and my father passed by our library. He looked toward the big table and the opened album on the table caught his attention and he looked at it. There, he was surprised to see the picture of my Lolo and him and on the next page, my Lola and my mother. He was wondering how come his attention was directed to the open album? Why was the album open already? Why was it open on the page where the picture of my Lolo was?

He wasn't scared though because he is already used to these happenings that my Lola would some sort of 'remind' him about the upcoming activities.

A little spooky huh?

How about you? Do you also have a scary or spooky story to share?

-------------------

Read also - Remembering the departed

No comments: