.

Friday, March 21, 2008

How to Recognize a Gifted Child

I was on one my my frequent trips to Cebu City last week when while waiting for my trip back to Tagbilaran City, I got busy myself reading the February 2008 Reader's Digest issue.

Although the wait at the terminal was long, I enjoyed reading (as I always do) my ever favorite RD. One article caught my attention : How to Recornize a Gifted Child. I read it and I was amused that my second child (who turned 16 early this March)possesses all the characteristics of a gifted child.

When I arrived home. I asked my eldest daughter to read the article and she smiled. she said, she has some of the characteristics but still thinks that her younger brother (my second child) has all the characteristics identified.

I let my second son read the article and after he read the it swiftly, he gave an ear-to-ear grin and said " Hehehehe, I am a gifted child afterall!", and we just smiled. I told him that this is nothing to brag about but to thank God for.

The following are the characteristics of a gifted child as printed on the Reader's Digest February 2008 issue:
1. They generally walk and speak before their first year of age.
2. They tend to use very rich language and adultlike vocabulary.
3. They easily understand and remember the information they are given.
4. They generate a great quantity of ideas and solutions to problems.
5. They have a well developed sense of humour.
6. They have a great deal of curiousity, which make them question everything.
7. They usually worry about the problems of the world.
8. They adore reading.
9. They like complicated board games (chess)
10. They are leaders.
11. They persevere (they concentrate on a task and persist until they finish it)
12. They make a high levelof self-judgment, demand much of themselves, and tend to be dissatisfied.
13. They prefer to work independently and do not need much help.
14. They are vulnerable to the rejection of their classmates.

With my recent discovery, I thank God for the GIFT.

1 comment:

ROBERT said...

Good Day,
I,ve search for those who read RICHDAD books, I saw that you already did and I Thank you for that.
I would like invite you to read some of my posts about my current views..
Thank you.